Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Houston trip/Parker's 1st airplane ride!!!

This past Friday Scott had to go outside of Houston for business, so Parker and I decided to join him and FLY down there to meet him. Yep, that's right....by myself, I took Parker through the airport, through security, and on the plane. Thankfully, we sent all our luggage and big stuff in the car that morning with Scott, so I only checked 1 bag and then checked the car seat and stroller at the gate. I was actually shocked at how nice and helpful security was! They are normally completely rude every time, but this time they were patient and even helped me pack him up and get through with some sanity (they did make me take HIS shoes off too which was a little ridiculous, but oh well).

We made it to the gate and then boarded the completely full flight! We sat by the window and couldn't have been more blessed by the husband and wife that sat beside us! She used to run an in-home daycare with babies! She was super sweet and understanding!!! Parker did really well and just wanted to stand up and bounce for the entire hour! My arms were VERY sore afterwards. About 20 minutes before we landed, he started to get restless, but was easily distractable with toys. We finally made it and I was very impressed with my little man!

We stayed with our friends, Brooke and Micah Johnson, and they have a little 6 month old girl named Anna Kate. We got to see several more friends while we were in town which was so fun and soooooo chaotic all at the same time. I think there were about 5 kids there at the Johnson house at one point all under the age of 2...and 3 of them were under the age of 8 months! Again, little hectic, but fun! We had a great time with everyone and hope to see everyone again soon!

As we were packing up Sunday morning and getting ready to head home, sweet little Anna Kate had a febrile seizure (due to a fever). In my entire nursing career, I have never seen a child seize....much less a very good friend's child!!! This was definitely one of the scariest things I have ever seen in my entire life and it will always stay with me. I knew that there was nothing that I could do while she was seizing (911 was already being called), so just had to wait it out and protect her airway and from hurting herself. It felt like an eternity though!!! I felt completely helpless and just wanted to do something to make it stop, but there's nothing. The body has to stop on it's own. Poor, poor Brooke! All she could do was watch, cry, and pray. Once it was over, we got Anna Kate to cry and perk up a little bit, but I also informed Brooke that she was going to be pretty out of it for awhile. Once EMS finally arrived, Brooke and Micah were "ok'ed" to take AK to the ER themselves. So they did and unfortunately, she had a virus and they just get to wait it out and let her get well on her own. They were also informed that it's not how high the body's temperature actually gets, but rather how quickly the temperature rises to cause a febrile seizure. She is on the road to recovery, thank goodness, but is now prone to having additional febrile seizures until about the age of 6. Poor little Anna Kate (and poor mommy and daddy)!!

Again, I will never forget what happened that Sunday morning. I will always remember the exact picture of her in my head. I will remember the helpless feeling that I felt....how scared I was.....how the nurse in me somehow took over thankfully....the look of desparation on Brooke's face with tears pouring out. All of this I will never, ever forget! I was most certainly glad to be there to help out, but I don't feel like I did much of anything. They have both said that because of this, they are getting enrolled in the very next CPR class! I highly encourage anyone and everyone to take a CPR class, because you honestly never know when you're going to need it!

Feel better Anna Kate!!! We love you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment